Two 600ms pauses when starting wine on i915

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Wed Sep 29 17:00:24 PDT 2010

Chris Wilson wrote:
> > a few seconds of very irritating stuttering whenever I run wine.
> > i915
>
> wine triggers an xrandr storm for its own unknown reasons.

Same underlying reason as for the 600ms keyboard pauses I saw.

One #winehq person claims that ATI and NV drivers track monitor
state and cache resolution information, which is what wine queries
on startup.

> The delay you see on starting is the driver (on wine's behalf)
> repeatedly querying the outputs for connected displays

It feels like it is being done twice.

I'm taking a look in the wine code. I hope it can be resolved. I
guess it's this call to XRRSizes():

http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/?a=blob;f=dlls/winex11.drv/xrandr.c#l258

Maybe make_modes() is also involved:

http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/?a=blob;f=dlls/winex11.drv/xrandr.c#l111