[Feature request] Multiple X servers on one graphics card?

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 12:47:42 PDT 2011

> Hmmm, what's about the opposite approach?
> To me, it sounds simpler and more logical when the kernel always creates
> one device node per output (or maybe dynamically per connected output),
> without any need for configuration or device assignment.

It just doesn't fit in with how the drm device nodes work, like it might seem
simpler in the kernel but I think it would just complicate userspace.

> If a single X server wants to control several outputs,
> libdrm should open the corresponding number of devices in parallel.
> We already have both static X configuration and xrandr for configuring
> that, and if the devices allow only a single open,
> this would also arbitrate outputs between servers
> (a server can't open an output which is already taken).

I haven't decided it couldn't work but I'd need a working
implementation to even consider merging it, where I've already done a
demo of how I think it should work, which means I don't have to
revalidate things if someone were to complete it.

Dave.