Kernel almost hangs when CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=y

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at hmh.eng.br
Tue Aug 30 07:55:25 PDT 2011

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 23:08 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > On Mon, 29 Aug 2011, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> > > So, hypothetically speaking, hpa suggested then that we could pass
> > > firmware blobs over the linked list setup_data thing in the real-mode
> > > kernel header and parse_setup_data() can look at them and map them
> > > somewhere later for the driver to find. This should be doable because
> > > you're only gonna need a handful of blobs for CPU ucode, network and GPU
> > > if the last is compiled in.
> > >
> > > I wanted to take a serious look at that for the ucode loading, maybe I
> > > should try to shuffle some time for it...
> >
> > It would be very useful, yes.
> >
> > Alternatively, you could extend the initrd format to have a firmware
> > directory appended after the filesystem image.  ACPI is going to abuse
> > the initrd in just that way to override ACPI tables very soon (patches
> > have been already submitted to linux-acpi), so if a more structured and
> > extensible way to piggy-back early-init data in the initrd is needed, it
> > would be good to bring that to the table NOW.
>
> Uhm,.. does that mean that soon we can't boot kernels without initrd?
> That too is a massive regression in my eyes.

Well, if work starts soon enough on a bootloader extension to avoid messing
with the initrd, we could refuse to set that initrd-based ACPI table
override as ABI on the grounds that it is a debug thing, and later move it
to the properly designed firmware bootloader extension.

Maybe the grub multiboot protocol[1] is worth looking at, assuming that
thing is salvagable and would actually work for both 32bit and 64bit BIOS
and UEFI bootstrapping?

[1]http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/multiboot/multiboot.html

  Henrique Holschuh