Review request to DRM Driver for Samsung SoC Exynos4210.

Inki Dae inki.dae at samsung.com
Tue Aug 30 21:36:14 PDT 2011

Hello Rob.
Thank you for your comments.

This is samsung specific ioctls and this feature simplifies to map user
space to physical memory. the offset would be sent to driver by user and
then samsung_drm_gem_mmap_buffer gets the offset value through vma->vm_pgoff
after do_mmap -> do_mmap_pgoff -> mmap_region -> file->f_op->mmap. the
offset is physical memory offset to be mapped like this.
pfn = (samsung_gem_obj->entry->paddr + vma->vm_pgoff) >> PAGE_SHIFT;
remap_pfn_range(..., pfn, ...);

if this feature has some possibility to jeopardize drm framework in any
case, then I will remove this feature. otherwise I'd like to use one. and
I915 also use same feature. you can refer to libdrm/tests/gem_mmap.c for
application and linux/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_gem.c for device driver. if
there are any points I missed, give me any comments or pointing out please.

> Actually, it may even be enough to combine GEM_CREATE and GEM_MMAP
> ioctls.. (currently in OMAP DRM driver I have them combined).   I
> *think* (and someone correct me if I am wrong), the only reason to
> have separate ioctl to get mmap offset is to allow for separate
> coherent and non-coherent mappings in same process.  And this would
> only work on ARM if you had a proper GART that you were mapping
> through, otherwise it would be aliased virtual mappings of same
> physical page.

Yes, we already have the feature you said above also. SAMSUNG_GEM_MAP_OFFSET
ioctl is that. but as you know, this feature is duplicated with dumb_* and
Dave pointed out before. only the difference between them is to use size
only or buffer information such as width, height and bpp to allocate buffer.
and so I am going to remove this feature. how do you think about that? I
wonder your opinions.

> I think that it would be possible to add another ioctl later to
> generate additional offsets if we ever had hw where this made sense.
> Until then a single GEM_CREATE that returns a handle and offset (plus
> GEM_INFO that gives you a way to get the offset in a different
> process) would be sufficient.

Thank you for your comments again. :)