Memory corruption starting in i915 code, in 3.2-rc5

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Dec 16 11:22:45 PST 2011

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 19:26:50 +0100, Daniel Vetter <daniel at ffwll.ch> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 10:14:46AM -0800, Keith Packard wrote:
> > On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 10:14:15 -0500, Alex Villací­s Lasso <a_villacis at palosanto.com> wrote:
> >
> > > By using a bootable USB stick, I could check the logs, which
> > > showed many segfaults at /lib64/ld-2.14.90.so .
> >
> > Ouch!
> >
> > Please let me know if you find anything further; I'd like to get a
> > revert sent upstream in the next day or so.
>
> I think the revert is trtd. But if you revert it, please also
> revert/disable the ilk vt-d workaound or apply one of Ben's patches,
> because that one _does_ blow up, too.

Only if VT-d is enabled though, and that patch is now old enough that
reverting it may cause additional problems.

Ben's patches still appear to have problems -- they don't appear to
resolve the infinite recursion issue for unknown reasons.

I'm going to revert the patch which causes the reported regression, then
wait for Eric to finish up his request queue cleanups and revisit this
problem after that.

keith.packard at intel.com