[r600g] ATI Radeon HD6950, dual monitor and power profile

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Tue Dec 20 10:38:08 PST 2011

Hi,

When using more than one monitor, the card uses higher clocks than in
single-monitor mode and low-power profile. As a subjectively negative
side-effect, the fan on the card starts making more noise. Other cards I
used before had no problem with staying quiet even when more monitors
were attached.

As soon as I switch back to single-monitor mode, clocks go down and the
card becomes silent again.

Is there a way to manually force lower clock speeds, and therefore reach
an acceptable noise level? Maybe make it use the same power profile
settings in dual-monitor as in single-monitor?

Dual-monitor mode:

~ $ cat /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile
low

~ $ cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/radeon_pm_info
default engine clock: 800000 kHz
current engine clock: 799940 kHz
default memory clock: 1250000 kHz
current memory clock: 1250000 kHz
voltage: 1060 mV

Single-monitor mode:

~ $ cat /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile
low

~ $ cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/radeon_pm_info
default engine clock: 800000 kHz
current engine clock: 249990 kHz
default memory clock: 1250000 kHz
current memory clock: 150000 kHz