Intel i915 freeze on latest git

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Tue Feb 1 05:16:01 PST 2011

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 13:29:45 +0100, Francesco Allertsen <fallertsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 12:05:52PM +0000, Chris Wilson wrote:
> > It would be useful to give us a few more details, such the drm.debug=0xe
> > dmesg and the Xorg.log (from when it does starts!), and explain what you
> > mean by complete freeze? Such as is the machine still accessible over the
> > network, did it die whilst oopsing, etc.
>
> I've tried to use netconsole to get the output of dmesg, but there is
> no output.
>
> Attached there is the Xorg.log, but I don't see any useful infomation.

Useful for me. Just confirms that you have an equivalent machine to
this Lenovo x201s, on which those patches were tested after receiving
from Jesse. :|

The dmesg would have been useful to know whether the i915.ko module is
loaded during X startup, and so reveal some information about the sequence
of function calls (i.e. whether the modified routines were running at the
time of the hang, or whether they had completed much earlier during boot).
The drm.debug dmesg is usually a gold mine of information.

Another useful test is whether i915.powersave=0 also prevents the hang?
-Chris