OpenArena Anholt Demo

Sedat Dilek sedat.dilek at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 11 05:04:13 PST 2011

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Simon McVittie <smcv at debian.org> wrote:
> Sedat Dilek wrote:
>> after Debian/squeeze was released a newer (version of) openarena made
>> its was from experimental to unstable.
>
> If you're using OA as a benchmark, you should be aware that since 0.8.5-7,
> Debian's OA packages no longer use OA upstream's fork of the ioquake3 engine
> to run the openarena game code. We now use a more recent ioquake3 snapshot,
> which has been modified for Debian so it can run both Quake III Arena and OA
> from the same engine; see the ioquake3 Debian package. I'm in the process of
> upstreaming as many of the changes as possible to ioquake3.
>
> This might increase or reduce performance, so to compare "apples to apples"
> please make sure any benchmark results that you're comparing are using the
> same engine.

First of all, thank you for the fast fixed new package and the
explanations to recent OA in Debian/unstable.

OK, I have here no "apple(')s (hardware)", but I see what you mean by
"snapshot":

$ grep -i ioq /tmp/openarena_anholt.log
ioq3 1.36+svn1858-1/Debian linux-i386 Feb  6 2011

In general, the 1024x768 resolution (my default) did not made much
improvements (currently: 14fps, I had seen max. 18fps), but 800x600 @
26/27fps is quite fast on radeon RV250 with KMS, classic-mesa and
linux-next (next-20110210) kernel.

So, I will have a closer look on openarena version when doing benchmark tests.

- Sedat -