Information resources

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 12:38:47 PST 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 9:38 AM, Phillip Susi <psusi at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> On 2/24/2011 6:03 PM, Jerome Glisse wrote:
>> We don't have source of firmware, only nouveau is reverse engineering
>> the nvidia one.
>
> Then where does the firmware come from?  I've been glancing at the AMD
> documentation for the R600 and I'd like to figure out why the firmware
> seems to be running in an infinite loop without ever halting, and
> driving the temperature of my card over 80 C, but I need the original
> assembly code for that.

The CP firmware has nothing to do with the temperature.  The CP
firmware is just a packet parser for reading in command buffers and
programming the register backbone.  Just alike a CPU, the GPU runs at
whatever speed it's clock is set to.  You can manually force lower
power states using sysfs.  See the power management section of this
page:
http://wiki.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature

Alex