[git pull] drm for rc1

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Tue Jan 11 02:58:39 PST 2011

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 14:51:40 +1000, Dave Airlie <airlied at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Dave Airlie <airlied at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Linus Torvalds
> > <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Lowlights: it's broken.
> >>
> >> I get millions of messages like:

> >>  [ 8482.000414] [drm:i915_hangcheck_ring_idle] *ERROR* Hangcheck
> >> timer elapsed... render ring idle [waiting on 30938, at 30938], missed
> >> IRQ?
> >>  [ 8485.918124] [drm:i915_hangcheck_ring_idle] *ERROR* Hangcheck
> >> timer elapsed... render ring idle [waiting on 31068, at 31068], missed
> >> IRQ?
> >>  [ 8487.926963] [drm:i915_hangcheck_ring_idle] *ERROR* Hangcheck
> >> timer elapsed... render ring idle [waiting on 31129, at 31129], missed
> >> IRQ?
> >>
> >> and everything is very choppy. I assume it's the power saving thing
> >> that broke again, but that's just a total random guess, I have nothing
> >> to actually back that up with.
> >>
> >> It worked fine after boot, but those problems began at 8287.139375
> >> (about two hours after boot - it may have coincided with screen saver,
> >> but who knows?)  and have been happening constantly since. The machine
> >> is not really usable, I'm writing this with annoying 2-second pauses
> >> every once in a while.
> >
> > Okay I'll try and reproduce and curse Chris and Jesse, does booting with
> > i915.powersave=0 help any?
>
> I've also noticed Chris has some more patches in drm-intel-next I
> haven't got in this pull request.
>
> I don't think he's sent me a pull request though so not telling how
> stable they are.

Yes, there are a few pending fixes. I've been waiting on feedback from
testing for some more before asking for a pull. In part because we have
some more eDP fixes, courtesy of Jesse, that makes everyone but Jim Getty
happy.

However, I've not seen anything like this so I doubt that d-i-n contains
the fix.

Dave, is yours related to the DMAR errors that is plaguing your systems?

Linus, is anything else kicked off upon powersaving? A screen saver or is
it just the blanking that triggers the mess?
-Chris