[git pull] drm for rc1

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Tue Jan 11 12:05:23 PST 2011

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 11:45:05 -0800, Jesse Barnes <jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 11:25:39 -0800
> Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Jesse Barnes <jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Have you tried reproducing it using xset dpms force off or similar?
> >
> > That doesn't seem to do anything bad.
> >
> > In fact, I think the second time it happened the screen never went
> > black - just the random photo thing was on. But no, forcing the screen
> > saver on doesn't do it either (ie pressing the "lock screen" icon and
> > waiting for a few pictures to cycle).
> >
> > Maybe the screen just has to be inactive for a longer time: do you do
> > some dynamic "let's power things down if nothing is changing"?
>
> There are some timeouts, the FBC engine will recompress about once
> every 15s; the self-refresh timers are much smaller though so it should
> be active anytime the CPU enters a deep sleep state.  The clock
> frequency changes in millisecond time too, you can check the status of
> that in /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_drpc_status and i915_cur_delayinfo.
>
> I wonder if re-enabling rc6 may have caused your issues?  That would be:
>
> commit 29a15061ff5df5bf9bf49c05c17f41eb2807a55a
> Author: Jesse Barnes <jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org>
> Date:   Wed Jan 5 12:01:24 2011 -0800
>
>     drm/i915: re-enable rc6 support for Ironlake+

We haven't actually got as far as that patch yet, that's waiting for a
suitable juncture to send the request. Now that the trees have converged I
can pick which patches need to go for rc1 and which can wait for -next.

Looking at the set of outstanding patch, my suspect would be the ring irq
refcounting which needed a fix and seems implicated by the error message.
-Chris