[RFC 00/20] Proposal for remaining BKL users

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Wed Jan 26 03:31:30 PST 2011

On Wednesday 26 January 2011, Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 11:17:14PM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > I've gone through all the code in the kernel that
> > uses the big kernel lock and come up with a solution
> > that seems at least half-reasonable for each of them.
> >
> > The decisions are somewhat arbitrary, but here is
> > what I'd suggest we do:
> >
> > * Remove in 2.6.39:
> >    i830, autofs3, smbfs
>
> I thought some people really wanted to keep i830.  Or was that i810?
>  I'll drop autofs3 and smbfs, thanks.

i810 needs to be kept, i830 is obsolete, see the patch changelogs
there. I assume that Dave Airlie will take both patches (i810 BKL
removal and i830 removal) into his 2.6.39 queue.

> > * Work around in an ugly way, but keep alive:
> >    * ufs, ipx, i810, cx25721
> >
> > * Fix properly:
> >    * usbip, go7007, adfs, x25
>
> Thanks for the usbip and go7007 patches, I'll queue them up.

It would be good if you could also take the cx25721 patch. It's
not the nicest one I've done, but it's a bug fix nonetheless.

Thanks,

	Arnd