has the i915 "black screen" boot issue returned?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Jan 28 03:35:25 PST 2011

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011, Chris Wilson wrote:

> Well, we have two endpoints, so let git attack:
>
> $ git bisect start
> $ git bisect good 58bbf018a70c562437eeae121a5d021ba7fe56a5
> $ git bisect bad abb72c828878a2c69b2cfb33ac30007c8ecd735e
>
> That shouldn't take more than a few recompiles to identify the
> troublemaker.

  it appears i have one bisection left to make but, just a bit of
info, the black screen issue kicks in when the kernel tries to change
the font size of the early kernel messages to a much smaller font (or
at least it happens around that time).

  typically, regardless of the kernel, i get a couple of large font
messages (/dev/pts and one other, memory fails me), at which point a
good kernel will switch to a much smaller font and continue.  with a
"bad" kernel, the display on my laptop goes black and stays that way,
despite the fact that the boot is obviously still progressing.

  you can decide if that is at all helpful.  back to bisecting.
should be getting close.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca