has the i915 "black screen" boot issue returned? [BISECTED]

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Fri Jan 28 08:30:51 PST 2011

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 11:23:08 -0500 (EST), "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>   all right.  and since we're beyond git bisection, can you post a
> list of say 2 or 3 tests you want me to try in order?  as you're the
> expert here, it would make more sense for you to try to optimize the
> search pattern here.

If the machine is booting (just with a blank screen), then enable
drm.debug=0xe, and check that it is being written to the system log
files. Then boot into the broken setup, reboot and grab the debug
messages saved from the previous (broken) boot.

Otherwise we shall just wait for the opportunity to log in with a second
machine and look for telltales before beginning exploratory surgery.
-Chris