3D support for Displaylink devices

Prasanna Kumar T S M prasanna_tsm_kumar at yahoo.co.in
Thu Jun 2 01:19:46 PDT 2011

Garry,

My first name is "PrasannaKumar". I will use my full name to prevent
confusion :).

I want 3D acceleration for running Compiz or GNOME3 or KWin with
composition. Currently windows Displaylink driver compresses and
transfers pixel data where there is a change (only damaged area is
transferred) to reduce the amount of data transfer. It is able to play
HD video without dropping frames. So I think that 3D acceleration and
video playback acceleration is possible. High end games cannot be played
but the normal 3D and video operations should work without any issues.
When displaylink introduces USB 3.0 devices the bandwidth issue will go
away (I remember reading in Wikipedia that displaylink is working on a
USB 3.0 product).

The displaylink framebuffer driver that comes with linux (udlfb) also
compresses and transfers only the damaged region to conserve the USB
bandwidth. Also CPU usage for doing the compression is very less making
it ideal for mobile devices (may be an android mobile).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-bLOc1qnMM&feature=player_embedded shows
android mobile with displaylink device. When a mobile phone is able to
power a high resolution graphics normal desktops and notebooks can do
provide good quality output.

PrasannaKumar Muralidharan