[RFC] Updated plane support v3

Marcus Lorentzon marcus.xm.lorentzon at stericsson.com
Wed Jun 22 02:16:29 PDT 2011

On 06/22/2011 03:09 AM, Rob Clark wrote:
> But I'm at least under the impression that some of the other SoC's
> have similar flexibility to use video planes as either primary or
> overlay layers.  So I figure it is at least worth trying to handle
> this in a more generic way if it doesn't cause too much ugliness to
> KMS core.

Yes, our DSS have similar flexibility. That is, we don't have a special
fullscreen framebuffer for the crtc. Instead we have generic "overlays"
for all framebuffers that can be positioned anywhere and have any
format, all on a background color of choice. So we are happy with a more
generic approach where current implementation use a default plane for
crtc fb. But it should not hog HW resources when not used. If a plane is
used, I think it should be a "normal" plane that the user can control
and enumerate.

/BR
/Marcus