Erroneous package power limit notification since kernel 2.6.39

Olaf Freyer aaron667 at gmx.net
Wed Jun 29 23:37:09 PDT 2011

Am 29.06.2011 00:06, schrieb Jesse Barnes:
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 00:01:58 +0200
> Olaf Freyer <aaron667 at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> Am 28.06.2011 23:18, schrieb Jesse Barnes:
>>> Ok interesting, didn't realize X startup was so GPU intensive. :)
>>>
>>> The patch you reverted will definitely cause the GPU to ramp up its
>>> frequency much faster than before, but it sounds like on your system
>>> you might also see it with the revert if you run something GPU
>>> intensive like nexuiz.
>>>
>>> The CPU (and by extension the GPU) will take care of itself though; if
>>> things get too hot or over power, it will clock throttle to keep itself
>>> in a safe range.
>> I also see the message alot during my daily average usage of my computer
>> (just using Firefox, Thunderbird and IntelliJ) - seeing things like
>> CPU3: Package power limit notification (total events = 90809)
>> after a normal day in the office became normal since 2.6.39.
>>
>> I just gave nexuiz a try for about 30 minutes with the reversal patch
>> applied -
>> and not a single message appeared in my logs.
> Sounds like with the patch reverted we can't drive your GPU and CPU
> hard enough to generate the messages.  Not sure if that's a good thing
> or a bad thing though...

I'm not sure either. I saw a single notification event yesterday while
in office -
previously I would have recieved 70000-90000 during that timeframe.
I consider the pure amount of notifications unsettling - and in case of
some
"real" issue it might even get lost inbetween those notifications.

Maybe there is a possible compromise between the situation before and
after the patch? I'm willing to lose a few percent of GPU performance just
for the sake of getting lost of those notification events...