Future desktop on dumb frame buffers?

Matt Turner mattst88 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 14:37:47 PDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 9:20 PM, Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
>>   1) inertia: fbdev has been around a lot longer, and provides most of
>>   what embedded devices need anyway
>>   2) feature set: why bother doing a full KMS driver if you're not
>>   going to use any of the additional features it would provide (output
>>   management, memory management, execution management)
>
> 3) its got documentation

My summer of code project's purpose was to create something of a
tutorial for writing a KMS driver. The code, split out into something
like 15 step-by-step patches, and accompanying documentation are
available from Google's website.

http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code-2010-xorg/downloads/detail?name=Matt_Turner.tar.gz

My repository (doesn't include the documentation) is available here:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/mattst88/glint.git;a=summary

There's a 'rebased' branch that contains API changes required for the
code to work with 2.6.37~.

It's nothing fantastic, but I've had a number of people tell me that
it was useful for them.

Thanks,
Matt