[RFC] Standardize YUV support in the fbdev API

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Tue May 17 15:44:26 PDT 2011

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 1:07 AM, Laurent Pinchart
<laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com> wrote:
> I need to implement support for a YUV frame buffer in an fbdev driver. As the
> fbdev API doesn't support this out of the box, I've spent a couple of days
> reading fbdev (and KMS) code and thinking about how we could cleanly add YUV
> support to the API. I'd like to share my findings and thoughts, and hopefully
> receive some comments back.
>
> The terms 'format', 'pixel format', 'frame buffer format' and 'data format'
> will be used interchangeably in this e-mail. They all refer to the way pixels
> are stored in memory, including both the representation of a pixel as integer
> values and the layout of those integer values in memory.

This is a great proposal. It was about time!

> The third solution has my preference. Comments and feedback will be
> appreciated. I will then work on a proof of concept and submit patches.

I also would prefer the third solution. I don't think there's much
difference from the user-space point of view, and a new ioctl would be
cleaner. Also the v4l2 fourcc's should do.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras