output on external video projector broken with 2.6.39 with intel

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Fri May 20 05:39:45 PDT 2011

Hi everyone,

(please cc)

laptop: sony vaio vgn-z11
graphics hardware: GM45
X: 7.6 (Debian: 1:7.6+6)
X intel driver: 2:15.0 (Debian: 2:2.15.0-3)
system: Debian sid up2date

I regularly build kernels from git, but haven't tried a video projector
for some time now. I found that in recent kernels I have problems with
the output to the external screen.

After inital connection everything works and I have a BIG virtual
screen covering both units. Then I want to switch it to
	Same image on both screens
and at that time one of the screens, most of the times the external
ones, sometimes both, fall into pieces with vertical stripes and
colors.

Waiting 25sec my program (xrandr or gnome screen props) resets the
setting and I am back to two screens showing independent images.

Is that a driver issue, a kernel issue, or anything else?

If you need more information, dmesg, X logs, or I should try some
patches, whatever please let me know.

Best wishes

Norbert
GLENWHILLY (n. Scots)
A small tartan pouch worn beneath the kilt during the thistle-harvest.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff