3D support for Displaylink devices

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Tue May 31 09:16:06 PDT 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 1:30 PM, PRASANNA KUMAR
<prasanna_tsm_kumar at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> USB graphics devices from displaylink does not have 3D hardware. To get 3D
> effects (compiz, GNOME 3, KWin, OpenGL apps etc) with these device in Linux
> the native (primary) GPU can be used to provide hardware acceleration. All
> the graphics operation is done using the native (primary) GPU and the end
> result is taken and send to the displaylink device. Can this be achieved? If
> so is it possible to implement a generic framework so that any device (USB,
> thunderbolt or any new technology) can use this just by implementing device
> specific (compression and) data transport? I am not sure this is the correct
> mailing list.

The window system needs support for splitting rendering and display.
In X these are currently tied together.  The only real obstacle is
fixing this in X.  However, this is a lot of work.  Dave Airlie has
started working on this, but it's not really usable yet.   See:
http://airlied.livejournal.com/71734.html
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~airlied/xserver/log/?h=drvlayer

Alex