Any news on HDMI EDID pasing of CEA Short Video Descriptors

alanwww1 alanwww1 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 08:13:11 PST 2011

Hi all !

I would like to ask, if there is any news on implementing the Short
Video Descriptors parsing in the EDID data.

There was already a patch before, but I don't think it went into mainline.

http://www.spinics.net/lists/dri-devel/msg02626.html

Without this, htpc users with XBMC, MythTV, or other Media Center
software has to add custom Modelines to the xorg.conf file to have the
standard HDTV resolutions like 1080p, in 50Hz, 24Hz available.
This is crucial to have stutter-free video payback.

For an experienced user, this is not a problem to find the right
modeline for his TV, but for regular end-users this is a huge problem.

If you need any help on testing, just let me know. I have a Sandy
Bridge CPU with a full hd LCD TV to test.

Cheers, Alan