max PWM is zero

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Nov 19 10:50:39 PST 2011

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 11:26:07 +0000 (Local time zone must be set--see zic manual page), Marcos Paulo de Souza <marcos.mage at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, anybody gets the same message?
>
> I'm trying the 3.2-rc2 and it gives the same message.
>
> Again, if you need someone to make tests, or test some patches, I'm
> able to do this.

Is your machine even using the intel backlight device? You can test this
by:

# cd /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight

Then look at 'max_brightness' and try echoing a range of numbers from 0
to max_brightness into the brightness file and see if it changes the
backlight.

It's more than possible that your machine is simply using some other
hardware to drive the backlight and that the integrated backlight
controller is simply disabled.

keith.packard at intel.com