Reply: Question on S3 on evergreen

Ilija Hadzic ihadzic at research.bell-labs.com
Thu Oct 13 07:29:20 PDT 2011

Frank,

I have found this text particularly useful when it comes to using MIT (or
BSD) code that resides in the GPL project (e.g. DRM in Linux)

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2007/gpl-non-gpl-collaboration.html

I think that sections 2.2 and 2.3 are the things to be careful about
because there is a non-trivial probabilty that at least some out of many
patches that come in from many authors were created by copying and pasting
lines of code that may have come from some other GPL'd code (e.g. other
parts of Linux). Nobody can guarantee that this has not happened.

P.S. The above is my personal opinion, I speak for myself, not for my
company, I am not a lawyer.

-- Ilija