The controlD device

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 09:48:26 PDT 2011

> Why do we have CONTROL_ALLOW on all modesetting ioctls?, also this code in
> drm_crtc.c  seems odd:

The plan was to allow a master daemon to create seats and compute
nodes, on reflection it probably didn't need *all* the modesetting
ioctls,
just the GetResources one.

So gdm or some equivalent would keep control over the control node,
and could be used to establish seats via render nodes.
Render nodes could have various crtc/outputs assigned to them.
A GPGPU render node would have 0 output pieces attached.

> if (file_priv->master->minor->type == DRM_MINOR_CONTROL) {
>
> Isn't that equivalent to
>
> if (file_priv->minor->type == DRM_MINOR_CONTROL) { ?

Yeah most likely just over thinking something. should be the same.

I had a tree on k.org with this stuff more fleshed out,
I've just pushed it out here:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~airlied/linux/log/?h=drm-render-nodes

Dave.