RFC: Radeon multi ring support branch

Christian König deathsimple at vodafone.de
Sat Oct 29 06:00:28 PDT 2011

Hello everybody,

to support multiple compute rings, async DMA engines and UVD we need to
teach the radeon kernel module how to sync buffers between different
rings and make some changes to the command submission ioctls.

Since we can't release any documentation about async DMA or UVD (yet),
my current branch concentrates on getting the additional compute rings
on cayman running. Unfortunately those rings have hardware bugs that
can't be worked around, so they are actually not very useful in a
production environment, but they should do quite well for this testing
purpose.

The branch can be found here:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~deathsimple/linux/log/

Since some of the patches are quite intrusive, constantly rebaseing them
could get a bit painful. So I would like to see most of the stuff
included into drm-next, even if we don't make use of the new
functionality right now.

Comments welcome,
Christian.