Proposal for a low-level Linux display framework

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Sep 15 10:05:00 PDT 2011

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 10:50:32 -0500
Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 18:29:54 +0300, Tomi Valkeinen <tomi.valkeinen at ti.com> wrote:
>
> > 1) It's part of DRM, so it doesn't help fb or v4l2 drivers. Except if
> > the plan is to make DRM the core Linux display framework, upon which
> > everything else is built, and fb and v4l2 are changed to use DRM.
>
> I'd like to think we could make DRM the underlying display framework;
> it already exposes an fb interface, and with overlays, a bit more of the
> v4l2 stuff is done as well. Certainly eliminating three copies of mode
> setting infrastructure would be nice...

V4L2 needs to interface with the DRM anyway. Lots of current hardware
wants things like shared 1080i/p camera buffers with video in order to do
preview on video and the like.

In my semi-perfect world vision fb would be a legacy layer on top of DRM.
DRM would get the silly recovery fail cases fixed, and a kernel console
would be attachable to a GEM object of your choice.

Alan