Proposal for a low-level Linux display framework

Rob Clark rob at ti.com
Thu Sep 15 11:32:49 PDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Tomi Valkeinen <tomi.valkeinen at ti.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-09-15 at 10:50 -0500, Keith Packard wrote:
>> On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 18:29:54 +0300, Tomi Valkeinen <tomi.valkeinen at ti.com> wrote:
>>
>> > 1) It's part of DRM, so it doesn't help fb or v4l2 drivers. Except if
>> > the plan is to make DRM the core Linux display framework, upon which
>> > everything else is built, and fb and v4l2 are changed to use DRM.
>>
>> I'd like to think we could make DRM the underlying display framework;
>> it already exposes an fb interface, and with overlays, a bit more of the
>> v4l2 stuff is done as well. Certainly eliminating three copies of mode
>> setting infrastructure would be nice...
>
> Ok, sounds good to me. We (as in OMAP display people) are already
> planning to take DRM into use, so no problem there.
>
>> > But even if it was done like that, I see that it's combining two
>> > separate things: 1) the lower level HW control, and 2) the upper level
>> > buffer management, policies and userspace interfaces.
>>
>> Those are split between the DRM layer and the underlying device driver,
>> which provides both kernel (via fb) and user space interfaces.
>
> I'm not so familiar with DRM, but with device driver you mean a driver
> for the the hardware which handles display output (gfx cards or whatever
> it is on that platform)?

I think he is more referring to the DRM core and the individual device drivers..

We are (AFAIK) unique in having a two layer driver, where the DRM part
is more of a wrapper (for the KMS parts)... but I see that as more of
a transition thing.. eventually we should be able to merge it all into
the DRM layer.

> If so, it sounds good. That quite well matches what omapdss driver does
> currently for us. But we still have semi-complex omapdrm between omapdss
> and the standard drm layer.
>
> Rob, would you say omapdrm is more of a DRM wrapper for omapdss than a
> real separate entity? If so, then we could possibly in the future (when
> nobody else uses omapdss) change omapdss to support DRM natively. (or
> make omapdrm support omap HW natively, which ever way =).

Yeah, I think eventually it would make sense to merge all into one.
Although I'm not sure about how best to handle various different
custom DSI panels..

BR,
-R