Proposal for a DRM-compliant GPU command scheduler

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Fri Sep 16 07:58:32 PDT 2011

Hi,

I haven't attended xdc in chicago, but I've read through your slides and
looked a bit at the code. We're planing to implement gpu scheduling for
intel gpus, too, so I'm pretty interested in this area. Comments:

- your code seems to rather thightly integrated with how nvidia hw works.
  I'm not sure whether it's a good fit for other hw, especially if/when
  there's better support from the hw for context switching.

- by the looks of it, scheduling happens via: gpu completion irq handler
  -> realtime thread -> waking up of the blocked process that got put to
  sleep before command submission. There's also a fastpath that does not
  block the command submission if the scheduler allows the process to run
  immediately. I fear this has quite high overhead and the scheduler
  design doesn't seem to allow clever tricks like issuing gpu batchbuffers
  eagerly and patching up execution after the fact (if e.g. a previous
  batchbuffer used up too much time). Your argument that the scheduler
  completely disables itself is also a bit void - contemporary desktop and
  mobile systems always have mutliple clients: A compositor and the
  clients, sometimes there's even an X process rearing its ugly head ;-)

- Imo your code needs quite some clean-up. I've noticed e.g. that it
  doesn't use the linux struct list_head functions. It also seems to
  re-implement a waitqueue/completions in a (racy) way.

- Imo the area that would most benefit from a shared gpu scheduler
  infrastructure is the userspace interface, so that a common set of tools
  can be used accross different drivers. Your solutions to configure the
  scheduler seems to be to read a file in /etc from the kernel module
  which is ... a bit ugly, to say the least.

In short it'd be awesome if you can help in creating a gpu scheduler
infrastructure for linux. But unfortunately your current code is imo
pretty far away from something that could be merged.

Yours, Daniel