[RFC 4/4] drm: Add NVIDIA Tegra support

Thierry Reding thierry.reding at avionic-design.de
Wed Apr 11 08:00:56 PDT 2012

* Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 04:11:08PM +0200, Thierry Reding wrote:
> > * Daniel Vetter wrote:

> > > Well, you use the iommu api to map/unmap memory into the iommu for tegra,
> > > whereas usually device drivers just use the dma api to do that. The usual
> > > interface is dma_map_sg/dma_unmap_sg, but there are quite a few variants
> > > around. I'm just wondering why this you've choosen this.
> >
> > I don't think this works on ARM. Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture but
> > judging by a quick look through the kernel tree there aren't any users that
> > map DMA memory through an IOMMU.
> >
> > Maybe your question is answered by my reply to Alan's comment. The mapping
> > is actually done to get a linear view for the display controller which
> > doesn't support SG transfers. The kernel and user-space already have virtual
> > linear buffers.
>
> Hm, in that case it looks like your iommu works more like the gtt on intel
> chips and less like the iommu on intel platforms (which we access through
> the dma_map api).

Yes, it's very much like the GTT on Intel chips. In fact I've been using the
gma500 driver as a source for inspiration. Wikipedia confirms that GTT and
GART are synonymous.

> I wonder whether that will end up in some layering fun together with
> dma_buf, which conceptually is at the same level as the dma api, which
> usually uses an underlying iommu exposed with the iommu api you're using.

That's odd. The only users of the IOMMU API that I can find in the kernel
tree are in drivers/remoteproc and drivers/media/video/omap3isp. And omap3isp
doesn't do any actual mapping at a quick glance. Can you point me to where
this is hooked up with the Intel IOMMU?

Thierry