PCI resources above 4GB

Yinghai Lu yinghai at kernel.org
Fri Apr 13 01:26:55 PDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Steven Newbury <steve at snewbury.org.uk> wrote:

>> > It would be useful to preserve as much low PCI memory address space as
>> > possible for hotplug devices (like my Radeon), but the other problem
>> > is small regions get allocated at the bottom, resulting in the
>> > inability to find large aligned regions later on.  I see code to
>> > default to top-down allocation was reverted, I guess I'm going to have
>> > to dig into the archive to find out why...

Please check attached patches that will find_resource with fit. It may
leave space for your hotplug devices.

  PCI: Should add children device res to fail list
  PCI: Try to allocate mem64 above 4G at first
  intel-gtt: Read 64bit for gmar_bus_addr
  PCI: Make sure assign same align with large size resource at first
  resource: make find_resource could return just fit resource
  PCI: Don't allocate small resource in big empty space.
  resource: only return range with needed align

You can get them from

       git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/yinghai/linux-yinghai.git
for-pci-res-alloc

Thanks

Yinghai