[RFC v2] Revive the work on render-nodes branch

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 03:20:45 PDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 7:19 PM, Ilija Hadzic
<ihadzic at research.bell-labs.com> wrote:
> The following set of patches is the reword of the series
> sent two weeks ago [2] that will revive the drm-render-nodes [1]
> branch. Details of the original series are described in [2].

Thanks for looking at this,

So one thing about adding render nodes, is it gives us the chance to
maybe change the userspace API we expose to be more secure and have
less cruft in it.

Now I'm weary of a major API redesign as this could bog things now and
we'd never make forward progress, but I'd like to at least consider it
before adding new device nodes and locking us into the old APIs.

The areas suggested before:

1) GEM, drop flink/open ioctls - these make security hard, since once
you share a buffer any GEM opener can get access to it. Solutions to
this proposed before are flink_to and maybe using PRIME/dma-buf.

2) master/device ownership. We might be able to drop the first opener
is magically master, and require openers to ask for it somehow.

3) drop the old map ioctls from this interface, irq by busid, drop the AGP.

I'm not talking about changing ioctl operation, more about introducing
new ioctls and not allowing the old ones on the new nodes.

Dave.