Fwd: Brightness on HP EliteBook 8460p

Pali Rohár pali.rohar at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 00:38:27 PDT 2012

<pali.rohar at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 31 July 2012 17:49:32 Luca Tettamanti wrote:
> >> I'm putting back the CC and adding Alex.

> >> Great! I'll send an updated patch to Alex soon.

> >> I've looked at hp-wmi: the hotkey is indeed dispatched via
> >> WMI
> >> (hp-wmi) so you need something in userspace (KDE, Gnome,
> >> etc)
> >> to respond to that key press.
> >
> > No, when I rmmod hp-wmi brightness keys still generate
> > events.
> > And when I disable acpi then brightness keys do not generate
> > events but adjust brightness automatically (by BIOS).
> >
> > I think that hp-wmi on my notebook only handle bluetooth &
> > wifi rfkills and ALS switch. All button working without
> > hp-wmi too.>
> >>
> >> Ok, that's weird. 0 turns off the panel by design, 255
> >> should
> >> not...
> >
> > But when ALS is disabled 0 did not turn display off.
>
> 0 only turns off the backlight, not the panel itself.  Is the
> backlight still partially on or is it just the actual panel
> (timing and image)?
>
> Alex

I looked at display again and 0 only turn backlight off (or
adjust minimum value). If I look at display correctly (in dark
room) I can recognize that display is still on and I can see
window manager decorations (but text is not readable).

Value 255 when ALS is on has same effect as 0 - adjust minimum
value (instead maximum).

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar at gmail.com