[RFC 0/3] solving omapdrm/omapdss layering issues

Rob Clark rob.clark at linaro.org
Fri Aug 3 05:22:11 PDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 1:01 AM, Semwal, Sumit <sumit.semwal at ti.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> from the DSI driver, and they may be very different than the user's
>>> timings. With DSI video mode, the DISPC timings would have some
>>> resemblance to the user's timings, mainly the time to send one line
>>> would be the same. With DSI cmd mode, the DISPC timings would be
>>> something totally different, most likely with 0 blank times and as fast
>>> pixel clock as possible.
>>
>> hmm, well kms already has a concept of adjusted_timings, which could
>> perhaps be used here to propagate the timings between crtc->encoder..
>> although the order is probably backwards from what we want (it comes
>> from the crtc to the encoder.. and if I understand properly we want it
>> the other way and actually possibly from the connector).  But that
>> isn't to say that internally in omapdrm the crtc couldn't get the
>> adjusted timings from the connector.  So I still think the parameter
>> flow doesn't need to be 'under the hood' in omapdss.
>>
>> And fwiw, the adjusted_timings stuff is handled by drm_crtc_helper
>> fxns, so if the way the core kms handles it isn't what we want, we can
>> just plug in our own fxn instead of using drm_crtc_helper_set_mode(),
>> so that isn't really a big problem.
>>
>>> What omapdss does currently is that you set the user's timings to the
>>> right side of the chain, which propagate back to DSS. This allows the
>>> DSI-2-DP bridge use DSI timings that work optimally for the bridge, and
>>> DSI driver will use DISPC timings that work optimally for it.
>>>
>>> And it's not only about timings above, but also other settings related
>>> to the busses between the components. Clock dividers, polarities, stuff
>>> like that.
>>
>> I expect we could handle other settings in the same way as the timings.

>>> Hmm, I'd appreciate more info about this if you can give. Sounds like a
>>> bug, that shouldn't happen.
>>>
>>> So you mean that you have an ovl, with no manager set. And you change
>>> the settings of the ovl before assigning it to a mgr? That's something I
>>> haven't really tested, so it could bug, true.

>>> Yes, I don't prefer the state tracking either (we didn't have it in
>>> earlier versions of omapdss), but I still don't see an option to it if
>>> we want to support all the stuff we have.
>>
>> well, we do have to do state tracking *somewhere*.. I just prefer to
>> do it only in one layer instead of two ;-)
>>
> Let me add a little more to the 'boiling pot' ;) - what about
> writeback? Writeback, from DSS perspective, is an integral part of the
> DSS offering, is needed for many compelling use cases, and needs to
> sync with the overlays and the managers (depending on mode) for state
> information.
>
> As such, Omapdss needs to worry about the way writeback is structured,
> and the way it interacts with the other entities in the system.
>
> Even though AFAIK DRM doesn't provide a capture mechanism to help
> support writeback through omapdrm, we still need to provide a clean
> way to use the writeback path with the display ones that we've talked

well, first: all the fancy features in the world don't matter if
fundamental use cases like multi-layer updates don't work.

but that said, writeback doesn't strictly change anything.
Configuring the input side of writeback (ie input to dss) *must* be
done through drm in order to not bypass the authentication mechanism
in drm.  We can't have non-authenticated clients configuring things so
that the contents of the screen get written back to memory, that is a
security hole.  After that, you maybe just need to provide some fxns
for the (presumably v4l capture) interface can configure the output
side of WB.  I guess this is roughly analogous to how hdmi audio
works.  It could be that we register a v4l2 driver within omapdrm, or
that we export some fxns that a v4l2 driver outside of omapdrm can
use.  Probably we should look at how hdmi audio and alsa hook together
in other drivers to see what the right precedent is to follow.

BR,
-R