[RFC 0/5] Generic panel framework

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com
Mon Aug 20 16:29:52 PDT 2012

Hi Tomi,

On Monday 20 August 2012 14:39:30 Tomi Valkeinen wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-08-18 at 03:16 +0200, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > Hi Tomi,
> >
> > mipi-dbi-bus might not belong to include/video/panel/ though, as it can be
> > used for non-panel devices (at least in theory). The future mipi-dsi-bus
> > certainly will.
>
> They are both display busses. So while they could be used for anything,
> I find it quite unlikely as there are much better alternatives for
> generic bus needs.

My point is that they could be used for display devices other than panels.
This is especially true for DSI, as there are DSI to HDMI converters.
Technically speaking that's also true for DBI, as DBI chips convert from DBI
to DPI, but we can group both the DBI-to-DPI chip and the panel in a single
panel object.

> > Would you be able to send incremental patches on top of v2 to implement
> > the solution you have in mind ? It would be neat if you could also
> > implement mipi- dsi-bus for the OMAP DSS and test the code with a real
> > device :-)
>
> Yes, I'd like to try this out on OMAP, both DBI and DSI. However, I fear
> it'll be quite complex due to the dependencies all around we have in the
> current driver. We're working on simplifying things so that it'll be
> easier to try thing like the panel framework, though, so we're going in
> the right direction.

If you want the panel framework to support your use cases I'm afraid you will
need to work on that ;-)

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart