-next queue and EDID stuff

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Mon Aug 27 13:47:50 PDT 2012

On 8/27/12 4:34 PM, Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Paul's FORCE_REDUCED_BLANKING series makes me nervous about what those
>> monitors will do over VGA, since from a conversation we had on IRC he hasn't
>> been able to test that.
>
> I asked the closed driver display team about these to see if we had
> any generic rules for whole classes of monitors and they do not.  They
> keep a small database of displays that need special tweaking and then
> have a set of options that can be enabled by the user (always use
> CVT-RB rather than GTF, etc.).  There's no generic solution since EDID
> 1.3 doesn't give us enough info to really enable generic rules on
> whole classes of monitors and most VGA connectors still use EDID 1.3
> with no extension blocks.  EDID 1.4 is better, but few VGA connectors
> on monitors uses it.  Other than that, they also rely on the EDID.

I really wish there were a useful way to identify the display controller
on the other end.  DDC/CI will give it to you, kind of, but any monitor
that supports CI probably doesn't need quirking, at least not at this level.

Paul's series does pick specific vendor/model IDs as much as it can, but
when the model is "0" one is a little wary about whether the vendor
bothers to set the model ID meaningfully at all.

- ajax