-next queue and EDID stuff

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 22:23:43 PDT 2012

On 08/29/2012 04:38 PM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> So to me, that says that drivers need to ask _both_ whether the monitor
> supports audio and whether it's HDMI before sending HDMI-specific audio
> signalling.

OK, so the burden is on the individual drivers.

In terms of moving forward with the rest of the EDID quirk stuff, are
you OK with either of these options:

* Remove EDID_QUIRK_NO_AUDIO from the flags for the LG L246WP.  It won't
  work "out of the box" with the Intel driver until that driver is
  fixed to not send audio InfoFrames to non-HDMI displays (but anyone
  who has the combination will be able to add their own quirk to make
  it work).

* Leave both flags, because both are accurate.  The display is confused
  by any InfoFrames (audio or AVI), and it is reporting non-existent
  audio capabilities.  The fact that the combination of the two flags
  makes the display work with Intel GPUs is a happy/sad/neutral
  accident, and the driver's behavior is still considered broken.

  (Essentially, this would mean just editing the comments to reflect the
  above reasoning.)

If needed, I can easily create a new patch for either option.  Just let
me know.

Thanks!