[RFC v2 1/8] video: tegra: Add nvhost driver

Terje Bergström tbergstrom at nvidia.com
Sat Dec 1 09:13:49 PST 2012

On 01.12.2012 16:58, Thierry Reding wrote:
> I don't know where you see politics in what I said. All I'm saying is
> that we shouldn't be making things needlessly complex. In my experience
> the technically cleanest solution is usually the one with the least
> complexity.

Let me come up with a proposal and let's then see where to go next.

> But you already have extra code in the kernel to patch out expired sync-
> points. Is it really worth the added effort to burden userspace with
> this? If so I still think some kind of generic IOCTL to retrieve
> information about a syncpoint would be better than a sysfs interface.

That's exactly why I mentioned that it's not useful to upstream. There
are some cases where user space might want to check if a fence has
passed without waiting for it, but that's marginal and could be handled
even with waits with zero timeout.

Terje