Brightness control fails between 3.6.8 and 3.7.0-rc7 (Intel 915/Dell Vostro 3560)

Tom St Denis tstdenis at elliptictech.com
Sun Dec 2 05:49:33 PST 2012

Ok so on v3.7-rc1 [and I suspect up] I can manually control the brightness by echoing to

/sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness

But I still can't use the buttons to control it (it only goes one tick down from max and stops there).  I'm using GNOME3 from a x86_64 unstable debian install [up to date with latest].

I just noticed that under v3.7 I have a new directory /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video1 which is what GNOME is actually controlling.  I can't disable ACPI video control so is there a workaround?

Tom