glxgears frame rate when DPMS is in "off" state

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Tue Dec 11 00:56:31 PST 2012

On Mon, 2012-12-10 at 13:12 -0600, Ilija Hadzic wrote:

> Clearly, the behavior that we have now is wrong from the power-savings
> perspective (i.e., it completely defeats the purpose of DPMS),

Not sure I agree with this statement, given DPMS stands for *Display*
Power Management Signaling, but whatever.

> but before I try to hack up the fix, I would like to hear some
> suggestions on what the "right" thing to do would be.

How about something like this:

If the swap can't be scheduled using a vertical blank event, because the
relevant CRTC isn't running, check if the window's swap interval has
elapsed since the last swap (using the refresh rate of the relevant
CRTC's current / last set mode). If it hasn't, suspend the client until
it has before doing the swap with a blit.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer           |                   http://www.amd.com