[RFC v2 6/8] gpu: drm: tegra: Remove redundant host1x

Terje Bergström tbergstrom at nvidia.com
Thu Dec 13 00:48:55 PST 2012

On 12.12.2012 18:08, Thierry Reding wrote:
> I've briefly discussed this with Stephen on IRC because I thought I had
> remembered him objecting to the idea of adding a dummy device just for
> this purpose. It turns out, however, that what he didn't like was to add
> a dummy node to the DT just to make this happen, but he has no (strong)
> objections to a dummy platform device.
>
> While I'm not very happy about that solution, I've been going over it
> for a week now and haven't come up with any better alternative that
> doesn't have its own disadvantages. So perhaps we should go ahead and
> implement that. For the host1x driver this really just means creating a
> platform device and adding it to the system, with some of the fields
> tweaked to make things work.

Even the virtual device is not too beautiful. The problem is that the
virtual device is not physical parent for DC, HDMI, etc, so
dev_get_drvdata(pdev->dev.parent) returns the data from host1x device,
not the virtual device.

We'll post with something that goes around this, but it's not going to
be too pretty. Let's try to find the solution once we get the code out.

Terje