new userspace API approaches atomic *

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 13:13:33 PST 2012

So this is a how to get new features pronouncement,

>From what I can see people would like to have atomic interfaces for
pageflip and modesetting merged,

Now how I think developing and merging these will work (i.e. do it
this way or don't bother)

a) get an API you are happy with working, it doesn't need to be perfect

b) rework the internal drm core/driver APIs for all drivers to allow
this new interface to be used. Remove
the old internal apis and create an interface layer between the old
userspace interface and the new API.

c) throw away (a)

d) reimplement a userspace API on top of the new internal driver API
fixing all the things you have learned,
were crazy, insane, nuts etc.

e) have a lot of tests.

f) get b merged standalone, transition phase is fine, but every driver
needs to be ported before the API
goes in.

g) throw away d

h) write final API and get it merged.

Yes this is probably more work than you or your manager is willing to
buy in, but then maybe the feature isn't that important.

Dave.