[RFC v2 6/8] gpu: drm: tegra: Remove redundant host1x

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Fri Dec 14 08:21:25 PST 2012

On 12/13/2012 11:09 PM, Terje Bergström wrote:
> On 13.12.2012 19:58, Stephen Warren wrote:
>> On 12/13/2012 01:57 AM, Thierry Reding wrote:
>>> After some more discussion with Stephen on IRC we came to the
>>> conclusion that the easiest might be to have tegra-drm call into
>>> host1x with something like:
>>>
>>> void host1x_set_drm_device(struct host1x *host1x, struct device
>>> *dev);
>>
>> If host1x is registering the dummy device that causes tegradrm to be
>> instantiated, then presumably there's no need for the API above, since
>> host1x will already have the struct device * for tegradrm, since it
>> created it?
>
> I didn't add the dummy device in my latest patch set. I first set out to
> add it, and moved the drm global data to be drvdata of that device. Then
> I noticed that it doesn't actually help at all.
>
> The critical accesses to the global data are from probes of DC, HDMI,
> etc.

OK

> They want to get the global data by getting drvdata of their parent.

There's no reason that /has/ to be so; they can get any information from
wherever it is, rather than trying to require it to be somewhere it isn't.

> The dummy device is not their parent - host1x is. There's no
> connection between the dummy and the real client devices.

It's quite possible for the client devices to ask their actual parent
(host1x) for the tegradrm struct device *, by calling a host1x API, and
have host1x implement that API by returning the dummy/virtual device
that it created. That should be just 1-2 lines of code to implement in
host1x, plus maybe a couple more to correctly return -EPROBE_DEFERRED
when appropriate.