[RFC v2 0/5] Common Display Framework

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com
Mon Dec 24 09:40:30 PST 2012

Hi Rob,

(CC'ing Hans Verkuil)

On Wednesday 19 December 2012 10:05:27 Rob Clark wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Tomi Valkeinen wrote:
> > On 2012-12-19 17:26, Rob Clark wrote:
> >> And, there are also external HDMI encoders (for example connected over
> >> i2c) that can also be shared between boards.  So I think there will be
> >> a number of cases where CDF is appropriate for HDMI drivers.  Although
> >> trying to keep this all independent of DRM (as opposed to just something
> >> similar to what drivers/gpu/i2c is today) seems a bit overkill for me.
> >> Being able to use the helpers in drm and avoiding an extra layer of
> >> translation seems like the better option to me.  So my vote would be
> >> drivers/gpu/cdf.
> >
> > Well, we need to think about that. I would like to keep CDF independent
> > of DRM. I don't like tying different components/frameworks together if
> > there's no real need for that.
> >
> > Also, something that Laurent mentioned in our face-to-face discussions:
> > Some IPs/chips can be used for other purposes than with DRM.
> >
> > He had an example of a board, that (if I understood right) gets video
> > signal from somewhere outside the board, processes the signal with some
> > IPs/chips, and then outputs the signal. So there's no framebuffer, and
> > the image is not stored anywhere. I think the framework used in these
> > cases is always v4l2.
> >
> > The IPs/chips in the above model may be the exact same IPs/chips that
> > are used with "normal" display. If the CDF was tied to DRM, using the
> > same drivers for normal and these streaming cases would probably not be
> > possible.
>
> Well, maybe there is a way, but it really seems to be over-complicating
> things unnecessarily to keep CDF independent of DRM..  there will be a lot
> more traditional uses of CDF compared to one crazy use-case.  So I don't
> really fancy making it more difficult than in needs to be for everyone.

Most of the use cases will be in DRM, we agree on that. However, I don't think
that the use case mentioned by Tomi is in any way crazy. TI has DaVinci chips
that can process/capture/generate up to 18 (if my memory is correct) video
streams, and those are extensively used in video conferencing solutions or set
top boxes for instance. A couple of the output video streams are display-based
and should be handled by DRM/KMS, but most of them are V4L2 streams. That's
something we should discuss with Hans Verkuil, he might be able to provide us
with more information.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart