[RFC,libdrm 1/3] tegra: Add stream library

Mark Zhang nvmarkzhang at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 01:04:24 PST 2012

On 12/28/2012 04:50 PM, Arto Merilainen wrote:
> On 12/28/2012 09:57 AM, Mark Zhang wrote:

>>> The assertion checks the validity of a single fence - not if there is
>>> room in the command buffer.
>>>
>>> The goal is to prevent having invalid fences in the command stream. If
>>> this check were not here it would be possible to initialise a fence with
>>> tegra_fence_clear() and put that fence into the stream.
>>
>> My idea is, if one fence is invalid, then we should not count this in
>> "num_words". In current code, if one fence is invalid, then this fence
>> will not be pushed into the command stream, and the "num_words" shows a
>> wrong command buffer size.
>>
>> So I think we should:
>> - validate the fences, remove the invalid fence
>> - update num_words
>> - then you don't need to check fence here - I mean, before push a host1x
>> syncpt wait command into the active buffer of stream.
>>

> In my opinion asking tegra_stream_begin() to put a bad fence into the
> stream is a case we should never be. assert() kills the application
> immediately (in debug builds) and usually this helps the programmer for
> 1) finding bugs 2) not doing bad code.

Yep, I agree. But in release builds, assert does nothing. So this
checking doesn't make sense and also a wrong fence will be pushed into
command buffer silently. And we always use release version in real
products, so we can't count on this "assert".

> "Silencing" is not a good solution especially in this case:
> tegra_stream_flush() returns an invalid fence when flushing fails. If
> the application chains submits (i.e. do a blit and then do another using
> the output of the first blit) it is crucial to be sure the first submit
> has been performed before starting the second one.

Yes. So I suggest doing fence checking at the beginning of the
"tegra_stream_begin", if invalid fence found, return an error.