linux-3.3-rc2 and radeon kms failure on ppc32 with Radeon X1650PRO pcie

acrux acrux_it at libero.it
Tue Feb 14 18:23:25 PST 2012

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 11:00:43 +0100
Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> wrote:

> On Sam, 2012-02-11 at 21:00 +0100, acrux wrote:
> >
> > Just a curiosity, i've only two powerpc machines[1] equipped with PCIE
> > videocards and both them are not able to boot with radeonkms.
> > Modern PCI-E videocards are not recognized by the old linux framebuffer
> > subsystem and they solely can be managed by the new KMS frame buffer
> > that doesn't work properly on Power Architecture.
>
> That's too broad a statement, it works fine on other PowerPC machines
> (PowerMacs, some embedded boards).

hi Michel,
thanks a lot for your help, i really appreciate it.

If you say they were tested on real Power Architecture boards with PCIE
videocards thus it is reassuring... and i'm happy that you understand
my previus assertion wasn't affected by malevolence or sarcasm. Indeed
i'm also a bit troubled 'n frustrated thinking that next release of
mesa 'll do extend use of llvm (that doesn't work properly on linuxppc
and totally untested on linuxppc64)

Btw, to sum up the list of Power Architecture machines with PCIE  that
aim to be a desktop/workstation: Apple iMac G5 (iSight), Apple PowerMac
Quad G5, YDL Powerstation 2x970MP and Acube Sam460ex . And the last
two, on present evidence (my attempts), aren't able to boot up if
bootkernel has kms enabled. Furthermore the first tree ones can
fallback to the legacy OpenFirmware framebuffer and safely get a
console.

> It looks like there's a problem with accessing the PCIe device memory,
> and at this point it's not even 100% clear that this is due to a problem
> in the driver, as opposed to e.g. in the platform code.

it could be the right problem and i've CC BenH that has a better global
perspective.

all the best,
--nico
--