[RFC] drm: implement DRM_IOCTL_MODE_SETROTATION

Paulo Zanoni przanoni at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 11:59:59 PST 2012

Hi

2012/1/5 Jakob Bornecrantz <jakob at vmware.com>:
> Couldn't this be done by just adding a property instead of a ioctl?

So I've discussed this with Jesse and it seems the best way to turn
this into a property is to add support for CRTC properties, then add a
"rotation" property for the i915 driver. This will actually introduce
2 new ioctls: one to list the properties and one to change them.

I'll send three Kernel patches to this list in the next minutes. One
just moves code around (so we can reuse it), another adds CRTC
properties in drm/ and the other adds the rotation property for i915.

I also wrote patches for libdrm (implement the ioctls, change
tests/modetest to call these ioctls, and some janitor work on modetest
and libdrm) and xf86-video-intel (use the rotation property). The drm
patches are applied to this tree:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~pzanoni/drm/ . I was only planning to
send them to the list after I get some review on the kernel patches.
The full list of patches I wrote so far is here:
http://people.freedesktop.org/~pzanoni/rotation/ .

For those asking more information about the problem: these bits are
somehow needed by the embedded VNC: it needs to know how the screen is
rotated. More information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Active_Management_Technology#VNC-based_KVM_remote_control

Cheers,
Paulo