3.5-rc5: radeon acceleration regression on Transmeta system

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Mon Jul 9 04:30:40 PDT 2012

> > > In 3.4, radeon worked with a glitch - window titles were see-throug (not
> > > drawn). In 3.5-rc5, radeon driver seems to be more careful and disables
> > > acceleration on this system at all. Full dmesg below.
> >
> > Does it always do it the same? got the dmesg from 3.4 and/or 2.6.32?
>
> That was a good question. I did some more tries, and it was not
> repeatable. Sometimes it worked like 3.4 did - rv100 initialized fine,
> no borders except when maximized, otherwise worked.

Re-tested 3.4.0-rc7 that I had availble from 3.4 times, it worked 4 out
of 4 times.

> Initial windows border problem seems to have been introduced between
> 2.6.37 and 2.6.38, bisect is slow.

It's actually more complicated than that. Old kernel images started
misbehaving from around 2.6.35-rc5 and any kernel older than that was
OK. When I recompiled the older kernels with squeeze gcc (migh have been
lenny gcc before, or different answers to make oldconfig), anything from
current git down to 2.6.33 is broken with radeon.modeset=1 and works (I
get window titles) with radeon.modeset=0.

2.6.32 works and has kernel modesetting enabled from dmesg but I think I
did not notice screen going fbcon during boot... maybe it only used the
modesetting when X started.

So there are 2 different problems (maybe related), the new one above and
the old one of not seeing some window borders when modesetting and
acceleration are in use. Maximized windows do have borders.

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)