3.5-rc5: radeon acceleration regression on Transmeta system

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Wed Jul 11 03:43:55 PDT 2012

> > It's actually more complicated than that. Old kernel images started
> > misbehaving from around 2.6.35-rc5 and any kernel older than that was
> > OK. When I recompiled the older kernels with squeeze gcc (migh have been
> > lenny gcc before, or different answers to make oldconfig), anything from
> > current git down to 2.6.33 is broken with radeon.modeset=1 and works (I
>
> What releases of GCC were those?  I'm chasing an issue where compiling
> with 4.7.[01] breaks but 4.6.2 is OK, wondering if we're chasing the same thing.

I do not remember when I upgraded from lenny to squeeze. It the previous
gcc was lenny's, it was gcc version 4.3.2 (Debian 4.3.2-1.1). The gcc in
current stable (squeeze) is gcc version 4.4.5 (Debian 4.4.5-8). Since
the old laptop is somewhat slow for following unstable, I have not tried
any newer gcc version on that machine, and it has been compiling its own
kernels for stress-testing purposes.

So it's probably not related to gcc 4.6->4.7 changes.

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)