Massive power regression going 3.4->3.5

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Jul 31 07:27:23 PDT 2012

James Bottomley <James.Bottomley at HansenPartnership.com> writes:

> on 3.5 killing X causes idle power to go 14W -> 5.9W
> on 3.4.6 killing X causes idle power to go 6.8W -> 5.7W

That's actually pretty good news -- you're just not getting to RC6
when X is running, but RC6 is otherwise working. And, yes, the GPU
really can suck that much power. The debug info that Chris pointed you
at should tell a more complete story. For comparison, on my sandybridge
box this morning:

::::::::::::::
i915_drpc_info
::::::::::::::
RC information accurate: yes
Video Turbo Mode: yes
HW control enabled: yes
SW control enabled: no
RC1e Enabled: no
RC6 Enabled: yes
Deep RC6 Enabled: no
Deepest RC6 Enabled: no
Current RC state: RC6
Core Power Down: no
RC6 "Locked to RPn" residency since boot: 0
RC6 residency since boot: 898339862
RC6+ residency since boot: 0
RC6++ residency since boot: 0
::::::::::::::
i915_cur_delayinfo
::::::::::::::
GT_PERF_STATUS: 0x00000729
RPSTAT1: 0x00048700
Render p-state ratio: 7
Render p-state VID: 41
Render p-state limit: 24
CAGF: 350MHz
RP CUR UP EI: 54631us
RP CUR UP: 136us
RP PREV UP: 0us
RP CUR DOWN EI: 0us
RP CUR DOWN: 0us
RP PREV DOWN: 0us
Lowest (RPN) frequency: 350MHz
Nominal (RP1) frequency: 350MHz
Max non-overclocked (RP0) frequency: 1200MHz
i915_fbc_status
FBC disabled: multiple pipes are enabled

keith.packard at intel.com